Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rust Never Sleeps



















I was walking along the Santa Ynez River and as I passed under a railroad bridge the corrosion and decay caught my attention.  Then the album Rust Never Sleeps by Neil Young and Crazy Horse in 1979 started running through my mind.  Now I can't seem to get the image out of my head and I'm searching for a meaning.  It's probably nothing more than the nagging realization that I'm getting older, or it's the arthritis in my hips sending unwanted messages to my brain.  So there I was, at the confluence of river, ocean, and a passenger train bridge.  A subtle signal from the universe suggesting it's time for me to travel again?



Just a short hike away was the Surf Beach Amtrak Station.  This is a desolate spot if I've ever seen one.  It could easily be a location for Clint Eastwood spaghetti western film.  It's perhaps a 10 mile drive into the town on Lompoc, and sits on a windswept beach right in the heart of the Vandenberg Air Force Base.  The parking lot was deserted, which I suspect it frequently is.  Aside from the various railroad paraphernalia, the only other evidence of humans passing this way was an impromptu memorial to a surfer who had the misfortune of being eaten by a shark the previous year.  That, and a electronic marquee which announced the impending lateness of the next train.  No surprises there.  But, I could almost hear the wind whispering into my ear, "Take a train..."  Perhaps it's time.


3 comments:

  1. Ah, perhaps it's time indeed. I can so-o-o relate. In the meantime, it will be fun to travel on your blog. Very nice beginning, David. I love your voice, your observations, your musings...and even the look of the blog. Congratulations. Here's to that lightness of being. (And am I your first comment-er?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm not sure yet, Tom. I was thinking about buying a Amtrak rail pass and just wandering from coast to coast for a month or so. Having no itinerary can lead to some pretty cool adventures. But it does take a lot of faith and some luck for it to all come together.
    I've also been thinking about going to Spain. After seeing the movie "The Way" I've been considering making the walking pilgrimage of The Camino de
    Santiago. Curious as to what I'm talking about? Go see the movie; it's playing in Traverse City.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gtreat imagery...in your photos and your writing! I've never heard of the Surf Beach station. What an odd, surreal place it looks to be. Maybe that is where you should begin your next journey.

    ReplyDelete